Board of Visitors:

Member Archive Biographies

Berkeley D. Adams (1913-20)

 

The subject of this sketch was born near Chatham, Virginia, January 2d, 1875. He early attended a preparatory school at Stuart, Virginia, where the trustees awarded him a prize of a one year's scholarship to Emory and Henry College. One year spent in this college, where he received the gold medal given by the Calliopean Literary Society for improvement in school, was followed by one year's study in Roanoke College. He then attended a business college for a few months and later held the position as bookkeeper for a large business concern. The fascination of the fair sex and the attractiveness of country life decided, at the age of twenty-three, as to his future career; he married and settled on a farm in Charlotte County, where he now resides. He has been a successful farmer, and the "Red Oak Grove Farm," of which he is owner and proprietor, has been developed into one of the most productive farms in the county. The fine corn raised there has been awarded numerous championship ribbons at fairs in the State. Few men have taken a keener interest in public affairs than Mr. Adams. At the age of twenty-eight he was elected for the first time as member of the House of Delegates, and has served four terms in that capacity. He was patron for a bill under which Charlotte County is building one hundred and twenty-five miles of roads; was co-patron with Honorable Rosewell Page of the bill coordinating the different agricultural agencies of the State.

 

During the session of 1912, Mr. Adams was chairman of the committee on public property, and was appointed one of the three members of the State auditing committee on the part of the House, the duty of which committee is to audit expenditures of different State departments for the next two years. He was appointed also a member of the State Board of Agriculture by Governor Swanson, and reappointed by Governor Mann. In January, 1912, he was elected president of the board by a unanimous vote, and holds the record of being the youngest president the Board of Agriculture has ever had. In July, 1912, Mr. Adams was appointed by Governor Mann a member of the V. P. I. board of visitors.

 

--------

 

This sketch was by Professor Richard H. Hudnall, professor of English, and was printed in the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Vol. 5, No. 4, October 1912, pg. 28.

Alpheus Michael Bowman (1911-14)

 

Colonel Alpheus Michael Bowman, whose parents were of German Lutheran descent, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, January 11th, 1847. He attended the county schools and the New Market Academy. He afterwards served two years in the war between the states as private, was taken prisoner March, 1865, and was confined in Fort Delaware until June 1st, 1865.

 

From very early life he has loved the farm, and has given much of his time to stock raising, having exported to Europe and South America many improved cattle. For eleven years he was a member of the Executive Committee of the American Shorthorn Breeders Association, Vice President of the American Berkshire Association, first President of the American Saddle Horse Association, and is now a life member of the American Jersey Cattle Club.

 

Colonel Bowman has held many public positions of importance and responsibility. For twelve years he served on the Democratic State Committee; and for a number of years was Chairman of the Democratic Committee for Roanoke County. He served as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention at St. Louis in 1888. In 1901 he was sent to the House of Delegates from Roanoke County, and was appointed a member of the Finance Committee, the most important of the committees of the House. For six years he was Chairman of this Committee. In this Committee he secured the appropriation of $50,000.00 for an exhibit of Virginia's products at the World's Fair in St. Louis; also a great fund for the appropriation to celebrate the tercentenary of the settlement at Jamestown.

 

Colonel Bowman has served on various boards, both public and private; he has been a member of the Board of Trustees of Roanoke College, and Vice President of the Board of Trustees of the Southern Lutheran Orphan Home at Salem. He served, also, for four years on the Board of Directors of the Southwestern Hospital for the insane at Marion, and for the same period for the Central State Hospital at Petersburg.

 

He is now President of the Diamond Orchard Company near Salem, President of the Bank of Salem, and a member of the Virginia Tax Commission. Colonel Bowman is a member of the Lutheran Church. He is a man of pleasing manners, fine business ability, and good judgment.

 

--------

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Opening Number, Vol. 3, No. 4, October 1910

 

R. S. Craig (1914-18)

 

Mr. R. S. Craig is one of the very practical men on the V. P. I. Board of Visitors. He was born in Manchester, Virginia, February 16, 1869. His earlier education was obtained in the Richmond public schools. At the age of eighteen years he entered the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad shops in the capacity of mechanical apprentice. After service here for a term of four years he resigned his position to visit many of the important shops of the United States. This greatly extended his knowledge of his special work and enlarged his experience. In 1900 he returned to Richmond and entered again into the service of the Chesapeake & Ohio Company, with which he has remained ever since. For a term of nine years he was the chief executive of the shop employees on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad.

 

Mr. Craig's line of work has brought him into personal contact with men. Opportunities for observing and studying conditions, not only in his own state but elsewhere, have given him a many-sided experience in practical affairs.

 

--------

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Opening Number, Vol. 7, No. 4, October 1914, pg. 6.

Dr. William A. Harris (1912-16)

 

The father of Dr. Harris was T. A. Harris of Confederate Army fame. He served in the ninth Virginia cavalry through the war, and at the reorganization of the Confederate Army after the war he was appointed major of the one hundred and eighteenth regiment and second division of the Virginia militia. Major Harris was sheriff of his county, Spottsylvania, for twenty-two years until he was appointed clerk of the Circuit Court in 1903, a position he held until his death on January 25th, 1912.

 

Dr. William A. Harris was born at Spotsylvania December 28th, 1877. His earlier education was received at the high school at Spotsylvania; from 1892 to 1894 he was a student under Professor George Jackson, of England, and from 1896 to 1898 under Professor George Ragland, Ph. D., of Johns Hopkins University. In the fall of 1898 he entered the Medical College of Virginia, from which institution he was graduated in May, 1901. Since that time he has practiced medicine at Spotsylvania.

 

Dr. Harris enjoys the distinction of being a member of several important societies and boards. He is a member of the Medical Society of Virginia and of the Rappahannock Valley Medical Society; is a member, also, of the Virginia Automobile Association and Fredericksburg Motor Club. He is chairman of Ways and Means Commission of Spotsylvania for Quebec and Miami Highway; also chairman of Courtland District School Board and secretary of Board of Public Roads, Spotsylvania County.

 

Dr. Harris has always manifested a particular interest in politics, farming, and good roads. He was appointed by Governor Mann a member of the V. P. I. board of visitors July, 1912.

 

--------

 

This sketch was by Professor Richard H. Hudnall, professor of English, and was printed in the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Vol. 5, No. 4, October 1912, pg. 29.

Benjamin F. Kirkpatrick (1910-14)

 

Mr. Kirkpatrick was educated at Washington and Lee University. Here he took the Young prize scholarship in the Department of Psychology. He took a prominent part in athletics while he was a student at the University, playing on the football team and rowing on the winning crew in the annual boat race. He taught in New London Academy, in the Lynchburg High School. and for some time had a private school. For ten years he was Secretary and Treasurer of the Lynchburg Gas Light Company. He is sole proprietor of the Insurance Agency of Ivery & Kirkpatrick, is Vice President of the Strother Drug Company, wholesale druggists, Director of the First National Bank of Lynchburg, and Chairman of the Public School Board of that city.

 

--------

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Opening Number, Vol. 3, No. 4, October 1910

W. D. Mount (1914-18)

 

Mr. William D. Mount, general manager of the Mathieson Alkali Works, at Saltville, Virginia, was born in July, 1867, in Tompkins County, New York. In early life he spent four years on the farm and two years carpentering with his father. He became a student of Cornell University in 1886, and four years later was graduated from Cornell with the degree of Mechanical Engineer. For the next four years he was a teacher in Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island—three years as instructor in physics and one year as associate professor of mechanical engineering. During the summer vacations at Cornell and Brown Universities he was actively engaged in engineering work.

 

In 1894 Mr. Mount accepted a position as electrical engineer with the Mathieson Alkali Works, at Saltville, and has been in the service of this company ever since. During these twenty years he has been promoted from time to time, and is now the general manager and director of the works.

 

The company with which Mr. Mount is connected was chartered in 1893. Some general idea of this immense plant may be gained from the following facts: the company manufactures soda, soda ash, caustic soda and bicarbonate of soda. The annual output of the works is something like 80,000 tons, most of which is consumed in the United States. As many as 1,000 tons of bicarbonate of soda were shipped during the month of June, 1913, and also other chemicals in proportion. About 650 men are employed in the works. For manufacturing purposes very large quantities of limestone are needed. This stone is quarried by the company within three miles of the plant, and it is estimated that not less than 500 tons of limestone are consumed daily. This great industrial plant is said to be the second largest freight producer on the Norfolk & Western Railroad.

 

The position of general manager and director of a large industry such as the Mathieson Alkali Works is a very responsible one, and calls for a man of general and scientific knowledge, force and energy, and fine executive ability. Such a man has been found in Mr. W. D. Mount.

 

--------

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Opening Number, Vol. 7, No. 4, October 1914, pp. 50-51.

Robert Jackson Noell (1908-12)

 

Robert Jackson Noell was born December 15, 1864, at Christiansburg, Virginia, and is the seventh son and youngest of ten children. He is of English and French descent on his father's side, English and Welsh on his mother's. Reduced from affluence by the Civil War, his father opened the Montgomery Hotel at Christiansburg, and it was under these circumstances his son, Robert Jackson, commenced his life work by attending the public school, and requested his father to give him an education in preference to patrimony of any other kind. This wise father gave him the opportunity to "work out his own salvation" by placing in his hands old accounts, the collection of which was to pay his way through college. He matriculated at the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College in the fall of 1879 and passed his college course with honor and distinction in spite of many hindrances. As ranking officer he was selected by the President and the Commandant and directed to take charge of the barracks, with any comrades he might choose to assist him, for the purpose of breaking up "The Knights of the Devil's Gang," an organized band of students of the "baser sort," who were making night hideous to both town and college. This young leader, with the aid of the better class of students, faculty, and military power, brought order out of chaos; nor did he regret the loss of time and the many sacrifices involved. He was president of the Lee Literary Society this year, and made the valedictory address at Commencement.

 

Notwithstanding many difficulties, the most serious of which was the illness of his father, detaining him at home several weeks, he graduated at the head of his class in the mechanical course, and second on a general average in the class of 1881-82. This year, the Board of Visitors raised the course of study, conferring the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and elected Mr. Noell instructor for the preparatory department, he being the first graduate of the college ever given a position as teacher. He taught this department, handled the text-books of the college, assisted in making out reports, and pursued his course of study, receiving at the close of the session of 1882-83, with W. L. Hovern, his diploma, the first degree conferred by the Institute. With an increase of salary for the next two years, Mr. Noell was promoted to general assistant teacher, librarian, and bookkeeper for the college. During this time, he read law to some extent, but, owing to the congested condition of the profession, he abandoned his hopes along this line, and at the close of the session of '85 resigned his position in college, and went into the drug business in Christiansburg with W. A. Wilson & Co. The same year he opened the drug store of Wilson & Noell, at Radford, Va. The partnerships were continued five years with more success than had been anticipated. This was the result of the hardest work of his life, posting books into the "wee sma' hours" of the night, and collecting in sunshine and rain. The boom saw the investment and loss of thousands of dollars, nest eggs in bank, bonds, and deposits going alike with the inflated values of lots and stocks. After ten years of strenuous work the debts are paid, and at this late day some of the transactions of those lively times are proving profitable.

 

Mr. Noell was appointed Postmaster at East Radford, Virginia, by President Cleveland in 1893, the only public position of emolument he ever held or applied for, though he served his city on the school board and city council for years. His administration of the post-office was a credit to himself and satisfactory to the public, as was evidenced by the general regret when he left this position. As chairman of the finance committee of Radford, his efforts have always been directed towards the betterment of the public schools, and, as the result of these efforts, aided by those of his co-laborers, two new modern school buildings are now in course of construction at a cost of $30,000. The appreciation of his valuable services to his city was shown in his reelection to the city council last spring by a majority greater than that received by any other candidate. He has been engaged for a number of years in the mercantile business, in addition to managing his splendid blue-grass farm of four hundred acres, which is stocked with sheep and cattle, and from which he gathers a big hay harvest. He has been blessed with good health, never having been confined to bed a day since he was a child. His meals and hours for sleep have been very irregular, but, never having used tobacco or intoxicants, he has a good balance of vitality in his favor. He looks back with satisfaction to the fact that during his six years at Blacksburg as student and teacher he never loafed an hour in the town, and, as a souvenir of those old days, he is still using in his room the lamp purchased from Dr. Conway for one dollar and a half.

 

His devotion to the Institute and her Alumni has been manifested by his service on numerous committees, and by his participation in all measures and plans for their aid and support. Representing the Alumni Association, he wrote "The Life and Character of President Thomas Nelson Conrad," and is now engaged in securing a tablet to his memory to be placed in the College.

 

Mr. Noell was married to Miss Irene James, of Axton, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, January 22, 1888, and to them were born eight boys, four of whom are now living.

 

He sustained a great shock and irreparable loss in the death of his wife, August 7, 1904.

 

About two years ago, Mr. Noell was appointed on the Board of Visitors of the State Female Normal School, and the writer can testify to his value during the short time he served. He quickly observed the inadequate grounds, and, with Professor Walker and Mr. Richmond, recommended in a committee report the purchase of additional grounds to be properly laid off and beautified. This much needed improvement has been fully recognized as an important addition to the Institution.

 

But a broader field of work needed him; and last spring Governor Swanson appointed him on the Board of his alma mater, where his ability has been at once recognized and is already beginning to tell. At the Board meeting November 20, he offered a valuable resolution which was adopted. This resolution gives the Board five committees instead of one, as heretofore, Mr. Noell serves on two of them, and is chairman of the one on "Finance and Expense of Students."

 

The writer predicts for him the faithful discharge of his duties, and knows that Mr. Noell attributes whatever success he has attained primarily to the discipline of his worthy parents, to his own energy, to the training given him at the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College, and to his splendid and incomparable wife.

 

--------

 

Virginia Polytechnic Institute Bulletin, Vol. II, Number 1, January, 1909, pp. 17-19

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Alumni Number, Vol. 2, No. 1, January 1909

 

Rosewell Page (1912-13)

 

Recently appointed a member of the Board of Visitors of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute

 

Mr. Rosewell Page was born at Oakland, in Hanover County, Virginia. November 21st, 1858. His father was Major John Page, of the Confederate Army, who was a highly educated country gentleman and who was a grandson of Governor John Page, the friend of Jefferson. Mr. Page's mother, who is still living, was, before her marriage, Elizabeth Burwell Nelson, granddaughter of Thomas Nelson, Jr., signer of the Declaration of Independence and Commander of the Virginia forces at Yorktown.

 

Mr. Page received his education at Hanover Academy and at the University of Virginia. After leaving the University in 1881, he settled in Danville, Virginia, where he practiced law until 1888, when he moved to Richmond and formed a partnership with John Rutherford, Esq. He has been President of the Richmond Bar Association, and for years was President of the Prison Association of Virginia.

 

Since his marriage Mr. Page has lived at his old home, where he has been engaged largely in farming. He has been a member of the Board of Supervisors of his county, and has represented Hanover in the last two sessions of the General Assembly. In the last session he was Chairman of the Committee on Courts of Justice. In educational matters he has always taken an active interest; he was the patron of the Compulsory Educational Bill which became a law in 1908, allowing the districts and counties to vote upon the question of compulsory education, limited as the Constitution required.

 

In the last General Assembly he was the co-patron of the bill for coordinating the educational and industrial boards of the State, and was also the author and co-patron of the Lime-grinding Bill which failed of passage in the Senate owing to the brevity of the session.

 

Mr. Page has always been in favor of the progressive movement of the State in the matter of the improvement of the public roads, and in the agricultural development of the State. He lives at present in the county, where he has a large plantation which he has developed to a high state of cultivation. He has attended the meetings of the farmers of the State and spoke before the last meeting at Roanoke.

 

--------

 

From Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Opening Number, Vol. 4, No. 4, October, 1911, pg. 4.

Peyton F. St. Clair (1906-14)

 

The Honorable Peyton F. St. Clair, who died at his home in Giles County during the latter portion of the summer [of 1914], was born fifty-three years ago in Roanoke County. During the early part of his life his father moved to Pulaski County and then to Giles. The latter place was his home during the remainder of his life. In Giles he married a Miss Cecil, the daughter of the late Daniel Cecil of Giles.

 

Mr. St. Clair was a self-made man in the best sense of the word. He rose to independence and fortune and to prominence in county and state politics because of the keenness of his intellect, his intense energy and activity. He served as County Chairman of the Democratic party of his county for a number of years and also as Chairman of the Democratic Executive Committee of the Ninth District, filling both positions with great success. He served his state for two terms as a member of the State Senate. It is to be remarked about Mr. St. Clair that in his case the ordinary probation period that a new member of the Senate or House must pass through before being elected to a position of prominence was not necessary. Immediately upon entering the Senate he took his place among the most influential senators in the party and retained this place until he voluntarily severed his connection with them.

 

To us at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute Mr. St. Clair's death came as a severe blow. In 1905 Governor Swanson appointed him a member of the Board of Visitors of our Institution. From that time to the day of his death he had served the institution with singular devotion and ability. His service was, of course, a patrotic one since no salary or emolument attaches to the position. He became deeply interested in the welfare and future of the institution and did it service as member or Chairman of the Executive, Finance and Agriculture Committees of the board.

 

A man prominent in state politics and one who has made himself an enviable reputation in the judiciary remarked to the writer a few days ago that he never knew a man who could so readily accomplish everything he set out to accomplish as Peyton St. Clair. He believed, he said, that it was due in the first place to his remarkable good sense, second to his indomitable energy, and third to his happy way of approaching men. However this may be, from intimate acquaintance with Mr. St. Clair the writer can bear out the truth of the assertion that he rarely failed in that which he undertook to do.

 

Mr. St. Clair was buried within a half mile of his own home, and a great concourse of friends and admirers attended the funeral. So large was the gathering that those on the outside of the house of worship who could not gain admittance far exceeded the number who were on the inside. As a mark of respect, Mr. Chas. I. Wade, treasurer of the college and secretary of the board, and Professor Theo. P. Campbell, dean of the faculty, attended the funeral exercises as representatives of the board on the one hand and of the faculty on the other.

 

To Mr. St. Clair's family and friends all who are connected with the Virginia Polytechnic Institute extend their sincerest sympathy.

 

--------

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Opening Number, Vol. 7, No. 4, October 1914, pp. 50-51.

H. M. Smith, Jr. (1906-10; 1912-20)

 

The parents of Mr. H. M. (Henry Marston) Smith, Jr., were of Massachusetts ancestry. His father's grandfather, Captain Sylvanus Smith, with five brothers, responded to the April alarm of 1775, and helped harass the British in their retreat from Concord and Lexington, and participated later in the glorious victory at Yorktown. From this ancestor, Mr. Smith inherits his membership in the Massachusetts "Society of the Cincinnati."

 

Mr. Smith's father settled in Richmond, Virginia, in 1829, and engaged principally in the manufacture of agricultural implements. He was a great inventive genius, and early began to supply the Virginia planters with implements such as the feed cutter, corn planter, well fixtures, horse-power and threshing machine. During the Civil War, he invented a hay press which was of great service to the Confederate cause.

 

Mr. H. M. Smith, Jr., was born in Richmond, July 19th, 1859. As a boy, he attended Strothers and Norwood's University School; he then became a student at the V. P. I., from which he was graduated in 1877. After leaving Blacksburg, he spent one year at Richmond College, by which institution he was given a scholarship in memory of his father. The session 1879-80 he was at the University of Virginia, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Law. He was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity there, and was later treasurer and one of the building committee to erect at the University a twenty-thousand-dollar chapter house to this fraternity, which was opened to the members at the beginning of session 1911.

 

Since his graduation, Mr. Smith has lived in Richmond and practiced his profession. For several terms he was commonwealth's attorney of the Capital City. He has been a member of the State Democratic committee, and also of the executive committee, and was Democratic elector from the Third Congressional District in 1908. He was also a delegate to the Baltimore Convention of 1912, to which convention he went as an ardent supporter of his friend and college mate, Woodrow Wilson. He was president of the first Woodrow Wilson Club organized in Virginia.

 

Mr. Smith has figured conspicuously in V. P. I. affairs. As a student there, he was first orator in the Lee Literary Society, and editor of the Gray Jacket, the old college magazine. For three years he played on the college baseball nine, and was always a leader in athletic sports. Several times in later years he has, at Commencement, addressed the alumni and the literary societies; he has also been president of the General Alumni Association. He was a member of the board of visitors of the V. P. I., 1906-1910, by appointment of Governor Swanson, and was again appointed by Governor Mann for the term beginning July 1st, 1912. Mr. Smith is now a member of the firm of Smith, Moncure & Gordon, one of the oldest law firms of the City of Richmond.

 

--------

 

This sketch was by Professor Richard H. Hudnall, professor of English, and was printed in the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Vol. 5, No. 4, October 1912, pp. 29-31.

 

--------

 

On account of the identity of his initials with those of his father, Mr. Smith has always signed himself "H. M. Smith, Jr." (from Men of Mark in Virginia: Ideals Of American Life; A Collection Of Biographies Of The Leading Men In The State, Volume 2, Lyon G Tyler, LL.D., President William and Mary College, Editor in Chief, Men Of Mark Publishing Company, Washington DC, 1907

 

Joseph A. Turner (1912-20)

 

At picturesque Hollins College, Virginia, Mr. Joseph Augustine Turner, the son of Joseph A. and Leila Virginia Turner, was born, June 21st, 1876. He is a grandson of the distinguished Dr. Charles L. Cocke, the founder of Hollins Institute, now known as Hollins College, one of the foremost institutions of learning in the South for young women.

 

Mr. Turner received his early education in the primary department of Hollins College, then attended Alleghany Institute in Roanoke for two years, and then spent two years in the academic department of Richmond College. He was a student at the University of Virginia for three sessions—1894-95, 1895-96, and 1896-97—busying himself principally with the academic branches. His fondness for athletics asserted itself and at Richmond College he played on both the football and baseball teams, and at the University he made the football team. At Richmond College he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Fraternity, and at the University a member of the "Tilka" Club.

 

After leaving the University, Mr. Turner taught at Alleghany Institute in Roanoke for the session 1897-98; his duties here were not confined to one subject, but he taught "a little of everything" and played football and baseball "on the side." He was assistant business manager at Hollins College, 1898 to 1900, business manager, 1900-1901, and has been general manager since 1901.

 

Mr. Turner is a member of the Baptist Church and of the State mission board of that denomination; he has been a member and director of the State Dairymen's Association and State Farmers' Institute since the organization of these bodies.

 

He was appointed by Governor Mann a member of the V. P. I. board of visitors in July, 1912. With the exception of Dr. William A. Harris, he is the youngest member of this board.

 

--------

 

This sketch was by Professor Richard H. Hudnall, professor of English, and was printed in the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Vol. 5, No. 4, October 1912, pg. 31.

Captain Micajah Woods (1911)

 

Captain Micajah Woods is descended, on both sides of his family, from Scotch-Irish ancestry. He was born at "Holkhain," Albemarle County, Virginia, May 17th, 1844. He is connected with the Lewises, Stuarts, Prestons, Craigs, Rodeses, and other well-known Virginia families. His early education was obtained at the Lewisburg Academy, the military school of Charlottesville, and at the Bloomfield Academy. In 1861 he entered the University of Virginia, and it was not long before he was a member of the Confederate Army. In May, 1863, he was elected and commissioned First Lieutenant in Jackson's Battery of Horse Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia, in which capacity he served until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Carnifax Ferry, Port Republic, Second Cold Harbor, New Market, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, Winchester, Fisher's Hill, and Gettysburg.

 

After the war, Mr. Woods returned to the University of Virginia, where he studied law, being graduated therefrom in 1868 with the degree of Bachelor of Law. He at once began the practice of his profession in Charlottesville, Virginia, and in 1870 was elected Commonwealth's Attorney for that county, which position he has filled for nearly forty years without having had opposition for the nomination since 1873, and at the November, 1907, election he was chosen for said office for another term of four years, commencing January 1st, 1908. In 1872 he was made a member of the Board of Visitors of the University of Virginia, a position which he held for four years, having been at the time of his appointment the youngest member of that Board ever elected.

 

In politics Mr. Woods is a Democrat. He has been Chairman of the Democratic Party of Albemarle County for several years, and as elector represented the Seventh Congressional District of Virginia. He was permanent Chairman of the Virginia Democratic State Convention which met in Staunton in 1896 to elect delegates to the National Convention. In 1881 he was elected Captain of "The Monticello Guard" at Charlottesville, and commanded that famous old company at the Yorktown Celebration in October, 1881. In 1893 he was made Brigadier General of the Second Brigade of Virginia Confederate Veterans.

 

Captain Woods was engaged in prosecuting the case of Commonwealth vs. J. S. McCue for wife murder in Charlottesville, and the Strothers-Bywaters case in Culpeper County, Virginia. At the meeting of the Virginia State Bar Association at the Virginia Hot Springs in 1908, he was unanimously elected President of the Association and served for the term of 1908-1909. At the annual meeting in 1909 he addressed the Association on the theme, "The Necessity for General Culture in the Training of the Lawyer."

 

Captain Woods is a Mason, a member of the Mystic Shrine, and of the History Committee of the Grand Camp of Confederate Veterans of Virginia. Although many leading newspapers have mentioned him as a suitable candidate for Governor of the State, he has never allowed his name to be urged for the place.

 

--------

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Opening Number, Vol. 3, No. 4, October 1910

 

-------

 

It is with deep regret that the BULLETIN chronicles the death of Captain Micajah Woods, of Charlottesville. He was appointed a member of the Board of Visitors of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute on July 1st, 1910. A sketch of his life appeared in the BULLETIN of October, 1910 (Vol. III, No. 4). On account of ill health, he was able to attend but one meeting of the Board. At this session he evinced a deep interest in the college and its work. The Board, at its March meeting, passed appropriate resolutions concerning his death.

 

From the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Commencement Number, Vol. 4, No. 3, January 1911, pg. 63

 

© 2017 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University